Where Bloggers Create Party 2013. Tour my current studio here.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Shelley's Birthday Lunch

Last Thursday I had the opportunity to host a little lunch for dear friend Shelley. I had it all planned out. A fresh cauliflower soup to begin. No problem. Turned out great.

The day before, I made up the tuna filling for the fish shaped pastries as well as the fish shaped pastry. No problem.
I also made a fresh mushroom sauce. Piece of cake. I had made this recipe thirty years ago for my dad on his birthday one cold February. I've wanted to make again since, and this was my big chance. To share it with another special person. No problem. Right?

Well, as you all know you cannot make a good meringue in damp mild weather. Just doesn't work. (That's what all of November has been, damp and mild.)
So, I made up one meringue pie crust and baked it, it failed and fell miserably. Considering it bakes slowly for two hours and filling must chill within it for three I was running out of time to make things work. Thursday morning, at 4:30 AM I am making another one, this time things looked much more promising. It was even colder outside! However, it went into the oven standing tall and firm, and it came out all folded over and unhappy looking again.

Off to the grocery store to find little meringue shells to turn my pie into tarts. I left the filling obediently chilling in the fridge and I hoped to return to proper clumps as per the recipe. On my way out, I wasn't holding out much hope for success with the whole dessert idea but once home, there was my properly firm citrus filling. And so, in the end, it all worked out and a fine time was enjoyed by all.
I made extra so the guys would have the same for dinner that night. Now that there are only three of us, it actually gave us two meals. Now that's a treat in itself. I love leftovers.

2 comments:

Anne Lorys said...

That looks so yummy!
Thank you so much for entering my giveaway! I am hoping and praying to be able to work out shipping to Canada after the holidays, especially for wonderful blog friends like YOU.
Hugs,
Anne

Susan Williamson said...

I definitely shouldn't read your blog on an empty stomach. All I have handy is a Mars bar but I'd much rather be sampling Shelley's birthday lunch.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails