Where Bloggers Create Party 2013. Tour my current studio here.

Monday, September 27, 2010

My Bucket List- Books

It seems we all have wishes or longings or things we simply want to do before our short time on this earth is ended. Whether it's travel, accomplishments, or even acquisitions, we all have a list tucked away, somewhere.

My goals are simple, my longings and hopes too. I wish to see Newfoundland. Visit a Viking Settlement. That's it. I love being at home, sharing what I have with family and friends. My great indulgence is to be able lose myself in my studio, creating.

On the more material end of things, I so appreciate my books. They wrap about you with their words and pictures like a cozy sweater on a cool day or inspire you to action as though a fresh breeze had blown through your space. I know some of you know exactly what I mean. They line our shelves like good friends, at the ready, always there for you. Well, here is my bucket list of books.

Sometimes it is just the cover that inspires you. I found these over the years. Not perfect but warm and inviting. They go back to a time when things were "new" and exciting from a young person's perspective.
This series began with my Grandmother's copy of "The Mary Frances Cook Book" (upper, center). It is a delightful read and I was thrilled to find out that there was a series of these wonderful books. They date to around 1914. It took years, but I eventually tracked them down. The illustrations are terrific.
Some books go back to your early days of reading and stay with you forever. Dare Wright's "Edith, The Lonely Doll" stories are just that. Hard to find, the old hard covered editions are built for little hands to enjoy. I actually got to speak to Miss Wright on the phone a number years before she died. It was an honour to be able to tell her personally how much I appreciated her work. Still on the look-out for more of these.

Then there are the artists whose work you enjoy or admire. These were given to me by my number two son, Aaron. He too understands the comfort of books. Joe Fafard is a Canadian sculptor, ParkeHarrison, photographers and of course Joseph Cornell assemblage artist extrordinaire.

This was a more recent find. It is truly a tome and filled with the most wonderful designs. The best part is that it comes with a CD of the images for your own use. You'd go through a lot of scanners trying to lay something this big and heavy on the machine!
This is the last to find. Out of print and difficult to track down, it remains elusive to me. Someday, maybe....

What's on your bucket list?

Go here to check out my hubby's latest woodworking commission.

1 comment:

Sheila Cain-Sample said...

What a lovely book collection. I have a few oldies, one that belonged to my Dad when he was a boy. My Dad was born in 1923 and grew up with very little but this book survived...I treasure it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails