Where Bloggers Create Party 2013. Tour my current studio here.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

I thought I would share a couple of pics of these dresses. My mom got them many years ago. They date to about the 1860's. They are little boy's dresses. They wore dresses pretty much like little girls until they were the right age for "short pants." The front is very plain so I am showing you the back. I'm not sure you will see that the trim on the sleeves and bottom is made of very tightly pleated cotton. Lots of neat details. I have shoes from the same era tucked away somewhere. I will try to post them sometime. They are neat as they don't have a left and right shoe. They are the same.
This is another little boy's dress. The buttons down the back are made of vegetable ivory. I love vegetable ivory buttons as they come in so many different shapes and sizes. The "ivory" is actually the Tagwa nut from a South American tree which has a very dense grain to it that can be impressed with designs and it takes dye but only the outer layer so when you carve it, you get two colours. I filled a shadow box with just vegetable ivory buttons. Actually, I filled four with various types of antique buttons. I would show them to you but they don't photograph well behind the glass. (okay, I'll see what I can do about that.)
Anyway, this being Easter morning, I was thinking of the days when I would get a new outfit and it was the only Sunday I would have to wear a hat to church as a little kid. My, how time flies.
Blessings to all.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails