Where Bloggers Create Party 2013. Tour my current studio here.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cake Memories

While at the grocery store the other day I came across a bin filled with half price items. (Even in food shopping, I am a die hard thrifter.) There was a boxed cake mix for a "Cherry Chipit" cake. Well, my memories of childhood birthday parties and Betty Crocker's Cherry Chipit cakes came rushing back and I just had to make one for old time's sake. I made first a cake which didn't last long in this house and then I made some cupcakes and was able to capture them before they disappeared. I made the icing as per my old Betty Crocker cookbook recommended with little bits of Maraschino cherries chopped up. Light as air and sweet.
Comfort food for bitter cold days. What kind of birthday cakes did you have when you were little?

6 comments:

Ronna said...

My mum used to make me a chocolate cake with seven minute frosting and then drizzled bittersweet chocolate over it in big drips. I can still taste it!

Jenny said...

My favourite was Black Forest cake. I still really like it but sometimes I like lemon cake for my birthday - with chocolate icing.

Jennifer R.D. said...

Hi Jen,
I found your blog on someone else's list and I clicked because it said Jenzart. My e-mail is jenzfrenz
so I thought I'd come say hi. I have an art blog, I am 2 years older than you, I have 2 boys and 2 dogs.
My oldest is just about to graduate college and my youngest is 15. I love your blog and would love you to stop by mine. I am having a giveaway for OWOH.
Hugs,
Jen

Kim Mailhot said...

Ohhh ! I love Cherry Chipit ! It used to be my fav when I was a kid too ! Yummy - maybe this weekend I will have to bake a cake...

Joanne said...

Hi Jen,
Loved checking in on you guys...wish we were closer so I could stop by for tea and cupcakes. There are a few new blogs in the family thought I would share the info;

http://faithfamilyfriends-rivest.blogspot.com/

http://simplycalled.blogspot.com/

and the latest: http://theeverydaylittlethings.blogspot.com/

Lots of Love,
Joanne

Ebbystone said...

Hi Jen,

Mom decided my b.d.cake would be Mini Ha Ha Cake. Where she found it I do not know. It was a 4 layer white cake, 7 minute type white frosting full of ground raisins.

Chocolate or spice cake would have been my favorite, but MHH Cake was so different and specially mine, only made once a year that I marveled over it and looked forward to it.

Ebbystone

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails