Where Bloggers Create Party 2013. Tour my current studio here.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Copper Lustre

While emptying out the cabinets in order to stain them, I was able to -revisit some of the items I have accumulated over the years. This little (three inch) copper lustre jug was given to me when I was eleven, by my paternal grandmother. She got it from her grandmother. Inside is a little note she typed (she always typed) telling me where it came from and how dear it had been to her. She states that she had looked for more pieces over the years but they were hard to find and very costly when she did come across something. For a long time I thought it rather ugly. But what do eleven year olds really know?


However, with the passage of time, and the passing of my grandmother, a new appreciation grew for the homely little jug and I started seeing the stuff everywhere. They seemed to pop up at yard sales a lot and I even bought seven pieces at an antique doll show! Most have little chips or imperfections but I love them all.
I think my grandmother would be pleased that her little jug isn't alone anymore. (And also that the pieces with the bits of stone on the outside are actually my favourites.)

1 comment:

Mitzi Curi said...

I just love copper lustre, and your collection is wonderful! It's a pretty good seller in our antique mall, too. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails