Where Bloggers Create Party 2013. Tour my current studio here.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Little Changes-Big Results

I'm sorry I disappeared for a few days. I was on the jazz, getting a big project underway. After all, isn't the perfect time for big projects when you should be tidying up loose little projects, cleaning the house and preparing the menu for the special guests on their way in just a few short weeks?
Well, this one has been on my mind for a while and after mentally going over it again and again, I was ready to get down to business. Above is the dining room set built for me by my best beloved husband. He first built the corner cabinet, not shown, while recovering from heart surgery back in 1996. Having survived that major trauma, he was determined to create things of substance for his family. Furniture is what he settled on. The corner cabinet was first. Then came the harvest table. (I sold our late Victorian dining room set so he could purchase tools and wood and we ate off a door suspended by the chairs you see in the above shot.) The back to the wall was finally complete in Nov. 2000. I love it! however, I am also ready for a little change.

I was thinking that, when we move I will stain it all white to freshen it up. Well, I have no idea when that will finally happen so I did it this week.


I started with the table base. Marty made me promise to leave the top as it is with the marks of family life visible. I am very pleased with how it turned out. I thoroughly sanded away after applying the finish so it would be in keeping with the hard-working nature of our table. I am debating whether to do the same to the pair of benches you can sort of see here. My grandfather built them for his five children.

Here is the back to the wall, almost done. The doors are now on it and today I can fill it back up. There is still the corner cabinet to do this weekend, and then I can return to what I should be doing.
Have a great autumn weekend! Market Day for Aaron today.

1 comment:

Ronna said...

Looks terrific! What a great job. Well done!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails