I wasn't quite sure how to take it all apart so first I simply removed the backing. I love how this was pieced together with whatever scraps were available, letting nothing go to waste.
Then I snipped apart each and every circle. Actually I used an exact-o knife and drew it across the stitches and it worked better as didn't create any pull on the fabric.
Then it was time to wash everything. First I washed the damaged pieces to see how tight the colour was and thankfully there was no running. Then, each colour was washed separately and there was a lot of soaking and rinsing etc. They were very soiled!
Once everything was washed and dried, it was time to lay out a runner for my harvest table. The table is seven feet long and three feet wide so I figured on something approximately four feet long and about a foot wide.
It took some fiddling to get a pleasant design and that looked balanced but in the end I am happy with what I came up with.
With the leftovers I laid out a smaller piece for my sideboard.
And then more extras were put together for this runner which might look good in the guest room as it is predominantly black and white. Now I just have to put in a good movie or three and get stitching making sure to keep everything lined up and straight. I haven't decided if I am going to put a backing on these or leave them as they are.
Not a bad return at all for a dollar!
A special thank you to all who dropped by during the Where Bloggers Create 2012 party and were kind enough to leave wonderful comments. It was fun. God willing, by next year we will be in our other house and I will have a whole new studio to share. Until then, there is plenty to keep me busy right where I am.